Saturday, August 17, 2013

This review has been a long time coming...

I had to finish the Sword of Truth series before I could finish this one.  It was a hard choice between the two.
This book was on my reading list, but had to move it up because of what the author wrote on her blog.
Made me want to read it asap!
She more or less said that maybe some where having trouble reading it because of how she wrote it.
Well as soon as I read that had to get the book and read it.

The book is called "Angst" by Victoria Sawyer.

Angst on Amazon.com
This book is different than anything I have ever read.
I read her blog and newsletters, so I knew her style in writing (she has a way of grabbing your attention and keeping it).
I love the way she thinks.
And she has a way of putting it into words that you want to read.

Her book did not disappoint me.
If I had been on the first book of the series I was reading I would have stopped to read hers,
but alas I was caught up into it and had to choose between the two:
only because I found my self trying to pick which to read, and than finding myself going out of my way to try and read both, to the point that I did not want to do anything else LOL.

This book was extremely well written and her descriptions of the feelings the main character, Victoria, goes through, made you know exactly how she felt.
If you have never suffered from panic attacks, it might be hard to believe what she writes, but trust me her words are true.
I have had panic attacks, not as severe as in the book, and mine started when I was in my teens.
Only a few people know that I have had these because like in the book it is not something I wanted to share.
  I missed out on many things because of them, and slowly learned to force my self to do things.
Now my attacks are infrequent but I still have them, and they can be crippling.
Angst is the first thing I have ever read that truly explains the emotions
and thoughts that go through your mind.

I love the way she put it in to a story.
How she draws you into Victoria's little world.
It spans approx a year in the life of Victoria, her first year in college,
with flash backs to when her attacks first started.
It shows how she coped with her emotions and dealt with everyday things, and still maintained the the picture of being normal.  Without her friends, teachers even co-workers knowing exactly what she was dealing with.

You will find yourself caring and hoping things will get better for this young girl.
At times it brought me to tears, some sad, some happy.

If you have never suffered from panic attacks this book will show you a world that I believe most do not even know exists.  The pain some go through on a daily, sometimes moment to moment basis,
the suffering and stress most could not even live through, and sadly some do not.
At the end of the book the author explains why she wrote the book, I think she will succeed, we just need to get people to read it.
Now I can see why people might find it hard to follow at times, but there is a simple way to avoid confusion.
There is a habit that readers do without realizing it, we do not acknowledge the Chapter Titles but you must pay attention to them, the dates will help you keep track.

I give this book 5 stars!


So if you want to try something new, maybe a new author or need a angst book for a challenge my advice is to give this one a try!

Check out her blog as well at Angst: A novel

See you soon
Aj (Alice)







No comments:

Post a Comment

My Visitors